My DH and I went a little overboard a few weekends ago, and decided to go berry picking. When I was growing up, we would go berry picking in the summer, and bring back the best strawberries for use in pies, jams, etc. My DH had never been berry picking before (well, ok, he picked a few blackberries off of a bush in his backyard, but never had the full experience). So I took it upon myself to introduce him to this weekend activity.
If I haven’t mentioned, I grew up in CA, where the climate is more temperate, and you can spend hours out in the sun without dying of heatstroke. In TX, the weekends quickly go from warm to HOT. So after I found the pick-ur-own farm, we decided to get there early to avoid the worst of the weekend heat, which this summer has been brutal. (Is it really only the start of June?!?) We got up at 6 AM on a Saturday (earlier than I get up on weekdays mind you), drove an hour and a half, and started by picking blackberries for an hour or so. After picking about a quarter bushel, we decided to call it quits and switched to picking strawberries. Those went much faster, although were much more labor intensive, and after two quarter bushels, we moved on to the last fruit of the day - peaches.
I had never picked peaches before, and have found that those are so much easier! All you have to do is reach up and grab them. And most times you don’t even have to reach that far! Anyway, after a bushel of peaches (27lb for those who don’t talk farming), we called it a day and went home. And proceeded to spend the next three days packing them all away in a GF fashion.
Intersted in what we did with all of the fruit? Well, this is where I am going to brag. We made sooooo much stuff. Drum roll please:
1. Peach-blackberry jam (8 jam jars) and strawberry-blackberry jam (6 jam jars). Both very yummy.
2. Peach cobbler x 2, berry cobbler, peach crisp, peach pie (glutinous, to be given away).
3. Two quarts each of frozen peaches, strawberries, and blackberries.
4. GF rustic peach bread. Alas this was before I had perfected my GF breads, so they are not as awesome if they could have been.
5. Peach maple-glazed upside down corn cake and blackberry maple-glazed upside down corn cake. (Very tasty, picture of the peach version below. Blackberry version we added a glaze.)
6 . A whole lot of Strawberry daquiris! Yum! (A necessity after picking and processing all that fruit!)